Electromagnetic waves

Mike Schulist (schulist@marin.k12.ca.us)
Wed, 13 May 1998 13:01:47 -0700

Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 13:01:47 -0700
To: "Pinhole Listserv" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
From: schulist@marin.k12.ca.us (Mike Schulist)
Subject: Electromagnetic waves

I teach 8th grade science at Miller Creek School, and I've come across a
point I'm confused about. Our textbook (Prentice Hall) defines
Electromagnetic Energy as moving electric charges. This, it says, includes
electric current and energy from the electromagnetic spectrum. My
understanding is that electricity is from electromagnetic induction,and
electromagnetic energy is from the radiation of the electromagnetic
spectrum. I thought they were different forms of energy with similar
names. Is the book correct in simplifying things by calling both
electromagnetic energy? Does electromagnetic energy really include
electricity? Thanks for the help.

Mike Schulist
sculist@marin.k12.ca.us