7th grade math/science position

From: Lori Lambertson (loril@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 11:40:30 PDT

Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 11:40:30 -0700
From: Lori Lambertson <loril@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  7th grade math/science position

Hello Pinhole Fans,
Perhaps you or someone you know would be interested in this position. Feel
free to share this with others.

West Oakland Community School
955 - 12th Street, Oakland, CA 94607
(510) 465-WOCS (9627) phone
(510) 465-8071 fax

Are You An Energetic Educator Ready For A Challenge?

Do You Care About Urban African American Students?

Looking for the Opportunity to Nurture Leadership Qualities
In Middle School Students?

WOCS is a charter middle school that opened in September, 1999, with a
group of 50 sixth graders. During the 2000-2001 school year, we will serve
the same group of students as seventh graders. We are located at Bethlehem
Lutheran Church, which has a long-standing history of community support in
West Oakland. We are deeply committed to serving the West Oakland
community, and we have a special concern for the unique history and
experience, strength and needs of African American children and their
families, who comprise the majority of the community's residents.

Our vision for our students is three-fold. First, they will be healthy and
whole. They will maximize their physical, mental, spiritual and emotional
potential. They will have a strong respect for themselves and others. They
will value a life dedicated to the pursuit of racial and economic justice.
Second, they will acquire the tools for academic and economic success. They
will attain high marks and master complex material as a part of a rigorous
course of study. This will be achieved through small class sizes, a focus
on critical thinking, a strong counseling and advising system, and a
college preparatory curriculum. Third, they will be servant-leaders. They
will dedicate themselves to uplifting society's poorest and most vulnerable
members. They will be people with the skills, knowledge, power, energy and
commitment to bring about change.

For the 2000-2001 school year, we are looking for two seventh grade
instructors, one for language arts/social studies, and one for math/science.

We seek individuals who:
… have experience in working with/educating middle school-aged children,
African American children, and/or other children of color;
… have expertise in core subject areas;
… are committed to crafting teaching approaches that meet the actual needs
of all students;
… are pedagogically flexible and creative in educating urban youth;
… show resilience in working to create a new school;
… will work tirelessly and collaboratively with other staff;
… will make a three-year commitment;
… have a California teaching credential OR are willing to pursue a
credential while teaching.

WOCS is committed to hiring a staff that reflects its student population;
we do not discriminate on the basis of race/ethnicity, gender, religion,
sexual orientation, class, or disability. We offer a competitive salary and
benefits package. Instructors are expected to report to work starting in
August, 2000.

We are hiring immediately! Submit a letter of interest and resume to Akiyu
Hatano, Charter School Director, by fax, regular mail, or e-mail
(akiyuhatano@hotmail.com).