Saturday Workshops

From: emuller@exploratorium.edu
Date: Sat Sep 18 1999 - 04:59:39 PDT

From: emuller@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Saturday Workshops
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 99 11:59:39 +0000

Hey all you pinholers out there,
Here is the Fall 1999 Saturday workshop listings.
Scroll to the bottom of this email to find out how to sign-up for courses.
The schedule will also be on our web site by early next week.

-Eric

Teacher
Institute
Fall 1999

Saturday Alumni Workshop Schedule

3601 Lyon Street
San Francisco, CA 94123
415-561-0313

Dear Teacher Institute Alumnus:
The Fall 1999 dates and topics for our workshops for summer institute alumni are
enclosed. We are offering our regular Saturdays, field trips to the Mojave
Desert and Sea Kayaking and a workshop at RAFT.
We have a large number of alumni in our teacher network, and as you may have
noticed, classes fill up quickly. It is important that if you sign up, you
attend. No shows cause colleagues to lose opportunities.
You may choose TWO regular Saturday sessions. Please indicate your choices on
the form on the reverse of this page, keep a copy for yourself, cut off the end
and mail it back to us, postmarked on or before September 29, 1999. Mail your
response early, as we will take reservations on a first come, first served
basis. Indicate a third choice which will serve as an alternate in case one of
your choices is filled.
We will NOT contact you to say you are registered. Please come on the dates you
select. If one of your choices is no longer available, we will call you. At the
end of the semester you will receive a stipend of $50 per workshop.
Please choose your dates with care so that we can accommodate everyone. If your
plans change, please call us by the Thursday preceding the session. We look
forward to seeing you on the dates you select!

Linda, Paul, Karen M,, Lori, Karen K., Eric, Don, Tory, and Modesto.
Exploratorium Teacher Institute
Fall 1999 Workshops

Select TWO Saturdays and keep this copy for your records!

Sat. and Sun. Oct. 9 & 10
Pink Halite Collecting
in the Southern California Desert
Calling all adventure-loving Earth science teachers (or folks who just like
crystals and minerals). Here is an amazing opportunity to go to mineral
collecting sites in Southern California to collect rare pink halite (yes, that's
salt) and fluorescent minerals near Mojave. We will leave Sat. morn, collect
Sat. night and Sun. morn, and then return Sun. afternoon. It will be a wild time
finding museum quality samples (selling in stores for $20 - $200 and more!) Your
$50 stipend will cover most expenses. Additional details will be sent to those
who sign up regarding car-pooling, and coordinating accommodations.

sat, Oct. 16 9:00 am — 3:00 pm
Bay Model & Sea Kayaking
Join us for another adventure on the S.F. Bay! We'll meet in Sausalito with a
tour of the Bay Model, now in full operation again! Then we'll go sea kayaking
with Environmental Traveling Companions. No paddling experience is necessary to
enjoy the gentle waters of Richardson Bay in Sausalito. A $50 kayak rental fee
is required. Send us a check for $50 and your stipend, sent in Dec., will be
your reimbursement. Additional details will be sent to those who sign up. (You
break even on this one.)

sat, Oct. 23 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Taking Things Apart
Back by popular demand, here’s your chance to dissect a cornucopia of gizmos and
gadgets. We’ll start with some simple devices, then turn you loose on other
objects we’ve gathered. You may also bring things from home or school: hair
dryers, wind-up toys, small kitchen appliances, small power tools, etc. (Please,
no objects that are purely electronic with no moving parts).

sat, Oct. 30 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Hallowe’en Science
Blood and guts, too many sweets, and scary monsters: what to do that is
"science-y" with all those Hallowe'en tricks and treats? Let TI show you some
science for Hallowe'en and our creative and educational uses for leftover treats
and decorations following the holiday. Prizes for best costumes!

sat, Nov. 6 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Biological Illustration
Create beautiful drawings that illuminate biological principals! Join TI alum
and artist Molly Taylor for a session on how to merge art and science.

sat, Nov. 6 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Weather at RAFT
Meets in San Jose. RAFT has moved!! Build simple devices to investigate air and
water. Measure pressure, temperature, condensation, and feel atmospheric
pressure by placing your hands in a plastic bag with a vacuum cleaner hose.
Measure heat flow and temperature with liquid crystal cards.
RAFT directions: 1355 Ridder Park Drive, San Jose. Take 101 South. Exit at
Brokaw. Go left. Go one mile passing under I-880. Left on Ridder Park Dr. RAFT
is at the end on the left.

sat, Nov. 13 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Model Madness
Straws, strings, paper, toothpicks and things are some of the materials we'll
use to construct 3-D models. Explore geometry, scaling, structural integrity,
iteration, and molecular structure. Get ready to hone your fine motor skills!

sat, Nov. 20 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Microscopy
At a loss for what to do with your classroom microscopes? Join us for hands-on
activities that will reveal the wonders of the microscopic world. Activities are
suitable for beginning and experienced students. YOU MUST BRING A STEREO AND/OR
COMPOUND MICROSCOPE FROM YOUR CLASSROOM.

sat, Nov. 20 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Highway Science
Based on the new Exploratorium book, "Glove Compartment Science", learn about
the science of cars and highways, with the TI’s own "Click and Clack", Paul and
Don. Build simple tools to measure acceleration, reaction time, and distance.
Learn to read the road, understand skid marks and oil drips. Build a car.

sat, Dec. 4 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Middle School Chemistry Blowout!
Periodic tables in the class period? Have a good reaction and join us for a day
of chemistry at The Exploratorium. We will cover basic chemistry concepts as
well as do loads of amazing, but safe, hands-on chemistry activities.

sat, Dec. 11 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Ancient Instruments
Using simple materials, build some devices that revolutionized math and science.
You won’t reinvent the wheel, but you will make a
backstaff, "Napier’s Bones," and a slide rule -- among other things. Don’t know
what these things are? Come find out!

sat, Jan. 8 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
San Francisco Symphony — at Davies Symphony Hall San Francisco.
We will meet at the Main Entrance on Grove and Franklin Streets. Join us for
this wonderful opportunity to do sound experiments in an actual symphony hall.
Bring your own instruments and we will explore the acoustics of the symphony
hall.
(Note: we will meet at 8:00 NOT 8:30 am)

Please circle the sessions you
plan to attend and mail this part of the form back
(postmarked by September 29, 1999) to:

Saturday Sessions
Exploratorium Teacher Institute
3601 Lyon Street
San Francisco, CA 94123

OR

Email this to Karen Mendelow.
DO NOT reply to this email!
Copy and paste this section into a new email and note which classes you want.
Send it to:karenm@exploratorium.edu

OR

Fax it to The Exploratorium at 415-561-0313

Name:_____________________________

Phone Number: _______________________

Choose TWO regular Saturday sessions by circling them.
Write your alternate choice here: __________________________

-Pink Halite Collecting sat & sun Oct. 9 & 10

-Bay Model & Sea Kayaking sat, Oct. 16

-Taking Things Apart sat, Oct. 23

-Halloween Science sat, Oct. 30

-Biological Illustration sat, Nov. 6

-Weather at RAFT sat, Nov. 6

-Model Madness sat, Nov. 13

-Microscopy sat, Nov. 20

-Highway Science sat, Nov. 20

-MS Chem Blowout sat, Dec. 4

-Ancient Instruments sat, Dec. 11

-SF Symphony sat, Jan 8

See Ya on a Saturday
-Eric

This message was sent using Exploratorium web mail
           http://www.exploratorium.edu/