RE: SLA-SF: SLA Survey on Disaster Response

From: Library (Library@kvn.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 11:50:53 PST

Subject: RE: SLA-SF: SLA Survey on Disaster Response
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 11:50:53 -0800
From: "Library" <Library@kvn.com>

I'm glad SLA is developing a crisis action plan that can be used in response to natural disasters and I filled out the survey. But as I mentioned in my response to them, I think the best thing SLA can do regarding natural disasters is to help members prepare AHEAD of time, before disasters hit, so the work of recovery won't be so overwhelming.

We should all have disaster plans for our libraries and SLA can help us with that, too. There is much information on the SLA's portal, including templates for preparing plans, as well as an extensive bibliography. If I may toot the Mid-Size Law Firm Group's own horn, a sub-committee of that informal SF group prepared a disaster planning template and bibliography specific to law firms. We found the SLA's portal very helpful in doing that.
http://www.subjectsmatter.com/

If we need any reminder of why we should be working on this, all we need to do is look at photos and articles about the 100th anniversary of the devastating earthquake and fire.

Paula Lichtenberg, Librarian
Keker & Van Nest LLP
library@kvn.com