More gov't library whacking

From: Lincoln Cushing (lcushing@library.berkeley.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 16 2006 - 12:00:31 PST

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:00:31 -0800
From: Lincoln Cushing <lcushing@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: More gov't library whacking

Library colleagues-

Following up on the recent news that Bush's proposed budget will shut down
the U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency network of libraries, I inquired about
another agency that I'm concerned about (as a quake-centric Californian),
the US Geological Survey. I was offered this answer:
USGS Library is now under USGS Geospatial Information Offices (GIO)
http://internal.usgs.gov/gio/ Information Policy and Services Office (IPS)
division after the recent internal reorganization.

You can visit http://internal.usgs.gov/gio/contact_gio.html to send your
questions and concerns about the future of USGS Library.

You'll notice that the links are internal, thus inaccessible to the public.
A followup query yielded this contact:
You can visit Geoscience Information Society
http://www.geoinfo.org/GSIS_News_USGSLibraries.htm for more detailed
information about recent USGS library reorganization.

This is an outside professional group trying to monitor these policies.
There is major concern about downsizing, outsourcing, and dismantling of
public agency libraries. We need to engage in the dialogue and keep public
information public.

Lincoln Cushing

Cataloger & Electronic Outreach Librarian
U.C. Berkeley Bancroft Library
Berkeley, California 94720-6000
(510) 643-2886